March 19th, 1pm-4pm
Location: Winneconne Public Library, 31 S 2nd St, Winneconne, WI 54986 (map and directions)
Ready to learn from a book repair pro how to extend the life of your collection and get books back into circulation quickly? NEWI will be hosting three half-day Materials Repair Workshops in March 2024 with Kary Barth, formerly with Kapco, Inc. where she provided training on preparing and repairing circulating materials. She’s bringing more than 15 years of knowledge and experience, having trained library staff across the country.
This 3-hour workshop will provide hands-on experience doing quick and easy techniques for extending shelf life on general circulating materials. Prevention is the key, but we will be addressing specific, common repairs: re-inserting loose pages, broken spines, torn header caps, ripped and torn pages. Attendees will also receive tips and resources.
Each participant will need to bring the following to practice on in real time with Kary’s guidance:
- 1 or 2 paperback books, preferably new or new-like, to demonstrate covering techniques
- 1 hardbound book with a book jacket to demonstrate application of book jacket covers
- 1 stapled book or magazine
- 1 hardbound book that needs repair
- 1 “naked” hardbound book (a hardbound book that does NOT have a book jacket cover)