Location: Caestecker Public Library, Green Lake - map & directions
Please join us for this hands on learning opportunity, open to library staff and trustees. The workshop will be presented by Dawn Wacek. Dawn is the Deputy Director at La Crosse Public Library. In the 20 years she has worked in libraries, she has faced challenges to materials, programs, displays and outreach events. The day is designed for frontline staff, administration, and interested trustees.
The itinerary for the day is still being developed, but will consist of:
9:00 Best practices for promoting intellectual freedom and addressing challenges
- intellectual freedom past and present - history, current trends, and challenges in 2023
- best practices to be pro-active in preparing for challenges to materials, programs, or services
- handling challenges - at the desk, with our boards, and municipalities
- resources in our state and nationally
- how best to engage with any media attention
- role play situations
12:30 Lunch, Box Lunch (includes sandwich, chips, cookie, pickle, soda/water), provided at no cost to attendees
1:30 - 4:00
- hands on policy work - review your existing policies and clarify procedures for staff and trustees
- proactive communication – building relationships and educating boards, staff, the public on the role of libraries in protecting intellectual freedom
Earn 6 hours of CE credit for attending.